Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are probably the most misunderstood vegetable. It's because many people are not aware of how to cook them properly. This recipe will give you a glimpse of how to prepare brussels sprouts the proper way. And yes, it's also the perfect side dish that's vegan, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a large saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook for around 10 minutes, until fully softened.
- Prepare an ice bath. When they are ready, transfer the Brussels sprouts to the ice bath for a couple of minutes, then drain and rinse them.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a flat surface, such as a chopping board or a baking tray. Smash them using the bottom of a glass.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, paprika, cumin, turmeric and salt.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and mix together with the olive oil and maple syrup. Then, add the breading and mix once more.
- Spread out the sprouts on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until crispy and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- These smashed Brussels sprouts are best eaten immediately, as otherwise they lose their crispiness.
- To make cheesy Brussels sprouts, add either nutritional yeast or dairy-free cheese to the breadcrumb mixture.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs of your choice.
- Credits to Earth of Maria for sharing their recipe!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!