Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are probably the most misunderstood vegetable. It's because many people are not aware of how to cook them properly. This recipe will give you a glimpse of how to prepare brussels sprouts the proper way. And yes, it's also the perfect side dish that's vegan, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a large saucepan of lightly salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook for around 10 minutes, until fully softened.
- Prepare an ice bath. When they are ready, transfer the Brussels sprouts to the ice bath for a couple of minutes, then drain and rinse them.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to a flat surface, such as a chopping board or a baking tray. Smash them using the bottom of a glass.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, paprika, cumin, turmeric and salt.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and mix together with the olive oil and maple syrup. Then, add the breading and mix once more.
- Spread out the sprouts on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until crispy and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve immediately.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
- These smashed Brussels sprouts are best eaten immediately, as otherwise they lose their crispiness.
- To make cheesy Brussels sprouts, add either nutritional yeast or dairy-free cheese to the breadcrumb mixture.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs of your choice.
- Credits to Earth of Maria for sharing their recipe!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!