Butternut Squash Soup
I like this recipe because it's supersimple and is able to be made in onepot- so clean up is a piece of cake.The soup has a sweet and creamytexture, without any dairy, which isamazing. If you want to make therecipe even more nutrient-dense andadd a gut-healing aspect, swap outthe vegetable broth for 24-48 hourbone broth. Bone broths are high inglycine and collagen, which bothserve to nourish the cells of intestinallining and reduce inflammation. I likemy butternut squash soup toppedwith roasted pumpkin seeds andchopped green onion!"Wendy Gans, MS, RDNRegistered Dietitian
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- ½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley For serving
- Toasted pepitas For serving
- Crusty bread For serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and sauté until soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the squash and cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, and ginger. Stir and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant, then add 3 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the squash is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender, working in batches if necessary, and blend until smooth. If your soup is too thick, add up to 1 cup more broth and blend. Season to taste and serve with parsley, pepitas, and crusty bread.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!