Beet Slaw with Pistachios and Raisins
The pistachio outer underneath the slawis lIke an Asian peanut sauce, bringing a much fullernut flavor than the pistachios could offer none.As you eat the dish, the juices from the slawdissolve into the pistachio butter and make a crazysort of vinaigrette.
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 pounds beets peeled use a mix of colors if you can
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/2 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chile flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Pistachio butter (see our previous recipe)
- Combine the garlic, raisins, and vinegar in alarge bowl and let sit for 1 hour.
- Grate the beets on the large holes of a box grater.or cut into fine julienne. Yes, your hands will get stained, but the color fades quickly.
- Remove the garlic from the raisins and discard.Add the beets, lemon luice, most of the parsleyand mint (save the rest for fishing), and chileflakes. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and lotsof black pepper and toss. Let it sit for about5 minutes and then taste- the slaw shouldbe tart, spicy, peppery, and sweet. Adjust theseasoning, If necessary, then add ¼ cup olive ol.Toss and taste again.
- To serve, spread a layer of pistachio butter ontoeach plate and top with the slaw. Finish with thereserved fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!