Beet Slaw with Pistachios and Raisins
The pistachio outer underneath the slawis lIke an Asian peanut sauce, bringing a much fullernut flavor than the pistachios could offer none.As you eat the dish, the juices from the slawdissolve into the pistachio butter and make a crazysort of vinaigrette.
- 2 garlic cloves smashed and peeled
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 pounds beets peeled use a mix of colors if you can
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/2 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chile flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Pistachio butter (see our previous recipe)
- Combine the garlic, raisins, and vinegar in alarge bowl and let sit for 1 hour.
- Grate the beets on the large holes of a box grater.or cut into fine julienne. Yes, your hands will get stained, but the color fades quickly.
- Remove the garlic from the raisins and discard.Add the beets, lemon luice, most of the parsleyand mint (save the rest for fishing), and chileflakes. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and lotsof black pepper and toss. Let it sit for about5 minutes and then taste- the slaw shouldbe tart, spicy, peppery, and sweet. Adjust theseasoning, If necessary, then add ¼ cup olive ol.Toss and taste again.
- To serve, spread a layer of pistachio butter ontoeach plate and top with the slaw. Finish with thereserved fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!