Chickpea Vegan Meatloaf
Chickpeas make this version of the thanksgiving meatloaf extraordinarily healthy and delicious! It is made from a base of perfectly seasoned chickpeas, baked just right and topped with a flavorful maple glaze. It's not quite a classic meatloaf. It's better.
- 2 cans chickpeas If you prefer fresh, you need 14 ounce or 400 grams precooked
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1.5 cup unflavored soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Maple Glaze
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 9 inch loaf pan and arrange a strip of parchment paper width-wise along the center, with just a bit hanging over the sides.
- Working in batches if needed, place all the meatloaf ingredients into food processor bowl and pulse until chickpeas are broken up and ingredients are well mixed, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Do not overblend. If you're working in batches, transfer each batch to a large mixing bowl when complete and then mix by hand.
- Press mixture into prepared loaf pan and bake 30 minutes.
- While meatloaf bakes, stir glaze ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Remove loaf from oven after 30 minutes and spoon glaze overtop of loaf. Bake another 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
The longer this sits, the firmer it gets. If it initially feels a bit soft for your liking, let it sit a for a few minutes or prep it a day in advance and reheat the day of serving. Thanks to connoisseurusveg.com for this recipe!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!