Cinnamon Raisin Power Cookies
Cinnamon Raisin Power CookiesThese are my new favorite cookie. My daughter wanted a healthy cookie that could act like a healthy snack. It needed to be filling, but healthy, delicious and not too sweet. I think we accomplished it. No one needs another cookie filled with refined, over-processed ingredients that cause you to crave sugar, gain weight and feel tired and cranky because it upset your blood sugar. Some people might think the taste is “worth it”, but it’s just not true in my opinion. There are too many delicious options that create none of the liabilities of traditional store or bakery-bought cookies and we have many here on this site. I do think this one is going to be a new favorite for you and your family! When it comes to cookies you want something to taste good and satisfy you, but that doesn’t have to come with ingredients that create inflammation, weight gain, a roller coaster of blood sugar and move you towards diabetes and heart disease. That may seem like a lot of damage from a single cookie. Well, not just one, of course, but do you know anyone who eats just one? My point is that food is information, and the information you want to give your body should be energizing, nourishing and healing.I’m really building up these cookies, aren’t I? Well they are gluten-free, diary-free, plant-based and free of refined flour and sugar. The nuts, seeds and date sugar are whole foods, meaning they won’t create a spike in blood sugar and should keep you satisfied for hours. Let me know how you enjoy them and what varieties you come up with!
- 1 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats or organic quinoa flakes if avoiding oats
- 1/2 cup organic almond flour
- 1/2 cup organic date sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup organic almonds or walnuts chopped
- 1/4 cup organic sunflower seeds or chopped pumpkin seeds
- 2 flax eggs combine 2 Tablespoons ground organic flax seeds with 3 Tablespoons hot water. Stir together and allow to thicken for at least 5 minutes
- a generous 1/4 cup melted organic coconut oil. Use refined coconut oil if you don’t like the flavor of coconut.
- a generous 1/2 cup organic almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all dry ingredients, except the dried fruit, nuts and seeds, in a medium bowl and combine with a whisk. Place all wet ingredients in a small bowl, whisk to combine thoroughly. Ensure the flax egg is well distributed among the oil and peanut butter with no lumps.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, a small amount at a time, stirring well to fully combine. Ensure there are no dry areas left. Lastly, add the dried fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice to the bowl and combine.
- The batter will be quite thick. Use a tablespoon and place the cookies onto your cookie sheet. The cookies are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Flatten them with a back of a spoon or your fingers. They will not spread as they cook.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on a cooling rack until fully cooled and then refrigerate. They hold together best when refrigerated but taste delicious at any temperature!
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!