Ginger Spice Smoothie
We’re only a few days from the holidays and the lure of gingerbread and other unhealthy cookies can be hard to avoid. If you’re not ready to say goodbye to holiday flavors, but want to stay healthy, we have a fun and delicious smoothie for you. Special thanks to Root + Revel’s take on this healthy gingerbread recipe that uses molasses instead of any bad sugar. Molasses provides a natural non-animal source of iron. The amount of molasses in this recipe contains 6 grams of sugar. It’s not white or added sugar, but it’s still “sugar” grams. We like to target not more than 12 grams per day, so know that this smoothie will handle half of your sugar grams for the day. The molasses provides a rich, complex flavor, and ginger in the spice blend provides a kick. Flax seeds provide great fiber and some healthy omega-3 fatty acids. We took out dairy and opted to go with frozen banana instead; which will give the smoothie that creamy and cold texture, without adding ice cubes which tends to water down the flavor.
- 1 organic banana frozen (slice beforehand and freeze)
- 1 cup organic almond milk unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons organic molasses
- 1 1/2 tbsp Gingerbread spice blend
- 2 tbsp organic flax seed ground
- Combine all ingredients into a large, high-powered blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!