Gluten Free Dairy Free Mac and Cheese
Sometimes you just want some pasta, even if you’re gluten-free. And sometimes you want pasta with a creamy, cheesy sauce even though you’re vegan – quite a predicament! I present for your dining pleasure the perfect Mac and Cheese that requires no cheating and is still delicious. Serve it alongside a nice green veggie, (I used fresh kale – see my Sauteed Kale with Shallots recipe) and a salad and you don’t even need to feel guilty!
- 1 package gluten-free rice pasta elbow shape
- 2 cups organic raw cashews
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- 3 Tbsp. vegan butter or healthy oil tea seed, avocado, etc
- 2 ½ cups Daiya cheese I used mozzarella but you could use cheddar. Another option is my cashew cheese recipe. If you use the cashew cheese recipe, you can omit all the seasonings from the cashew cream as they are contained in the cheese.
- ½ cup gluten-free bread crumbs or your favorite gluten-free crackers smashed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Soak 2 cups of cashews covered in water for at least 20 minutes. Get the rest of your ingredients together, your pasta water boiling and by that time the cashews will be ready.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, but consider taking it out a minute or two early so as not to overcook. Al dente is the way Italians like their pasta and you should cook it this way to prevent mushy pasta once it’s done in the oven.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the cashew cream sauce by placing the soaked cashews, water, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend on high until very creamy. If it’s too thick you can add a little water but the consistency should be that of heavy cream.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, place it in a glass dish approximately 9 x 13 inches.
- Add the vegan butter to the pasta, the daiya cheese and cashew cream sauce and mix together with a large spoon to evenly coat all the pasta.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as you see fit.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top and then cover with the bread crumbs or crackers.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
Enjoy this healthy vegan mac and cheese from Dr Vikki’s Kitchen. Buon Appetito!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!