Healthy Lemon Bars
A delicious lemon bar with none of the “bad” ingredients. Lemon bars are so delicious and refreshing. The lemon filling is tart, creamy and sweet, all at the same time.I can’t even write about them without experiencing that lovely tart sensation. The crust on the bottom gives it a nice “cookie” base. Lemon bars just beg to be made in the spring and summer when lightness of food seems to fit the season and the weather. The classic lemon bar is full of gluten, dairy and sugar, all bad ideas on a healthful diet. Even if you don’t have a gluten intolerance, white flour is too refined to be ingested. What we really want from desserts is a satisfaction of sweet without the liabilities of feeling badly afterwards or worse yet, setting off cravings that set back your health program. Hopefully you’ll find these lemon bars to “do the trick” of satisfying the need for an occasional treat, without any liabilities.
- 1 1/2 cups organic finely ground almond flour
- 3 tablespoons organic refined coconut oil melted [Note: if you like a coconut flavor, use unrefined oil]
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from an organic lemon Meyer lemons are best.
- 1 cup organic cashews soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
- 1 cup organic coconut cream
- 1/2 cup organic lemon juice Meyer lemon if possible
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 Tbsp organic lemon zest
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- a pinch of sea salt
- Whisk together the flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt in a medium bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, about 1/4 inch thick, and bake for 15 minutes, or until just golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool while you make the filling.
- Soak, then drain the cashews. Place in a blender
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the blender.
- Mix on high until very creamy and smooth.
- Pour the filling over the baked crust and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the edges look very slightly dry and the center is no longer liquid.
- Cool the bars for 10 minutes, then transfer to the fridge to set overnight.
- Slice and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!