Chia Berry Jam
This is a fun and easy jam to make. It’s fast, healthy, free of sugar or preservatives, and delicious! Chia seeds are packed with nutrition. Just a single ounce, while a mere 100 calories, is yet full of omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, protein, antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, manganese and phosphorus. Of note is the need to grind your chia seeds to extract those healthy, anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids. Without grinding you will miss the full benefit of the nutrition these tiny seeds store. Grind your own, a coffee grinder will suffice. Buying them pre-ground isn’t a good idea, rancidity can set in quickly. Berries are another super food, also loaded with healthy antioxidants. Blueberries, blackberries and raspberries are superstars, but you can use strawberries as well. If they’re not in season, frozen is a fine option, but when in season their sweetness will probably negate the need for further sweetening. Enjoy this very healthy jam and let us know how you like it.
- 2 cups organic berries about 1 pound, fresh or frozen
- juice of 1 organic lemon Meyer if available – about 1 teaspoon of juice
- 2 Tablespoons organic chia seeds ground in a coffee grinder or grinder of your choice
- 1 teaspoon of organic honey or date syrup or maple syrup or to taste (Optional)
- Place the berries and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium high heat
- Use a potato masher or spatula to mash the fruit to a smooth paste.
- Mix in the ground chia seeds until well combined and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes. The jam will thicken. Remove from heat when it’s the thickness you desire.
- Place in a glass jar that is airtight and allow to cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate for up to two weeks.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!