Mung Bean Brew – a Coffee Substitute
This recipe was generously shared by a patient who, rather creatively, handled her love of coffee with a healthy substitute. Enjoy!I created this recipe to take the place of not having any coffee or caffeine during the Root Cause Medical Clinic elimination diet. When I was first cooking mung beans to eat, I thought they smelled faintly like coffee. I wondered if one might roast the beans, grind them, and brew them like coffee with some added spices and flavoring. And thus, I created Mung Bean Brew. There are so many ways to enjoy it with your own additions. Some suggestions are below.
- Coffee Grinder
- Chai tea
- black pepper
- carob powder - My own version for a chocolate-like taste
To prepare the mung bean powder: (recommended to be done ahead of time)
- Roast mung beans either in a toaster oven at 300 – 350 degrees or can do larger scale in the oven on a cookie sheet. Just keep an eye on it till the beans go from green to a nice dark brown (a little lighter than the color of coffee beans).
- Use a coffee grinder to reduce the roasted beans to a powder.
- Next mix in the spices
To prepare a mug of mung bean brew:
- Fill up a Pyrex-type glass measuring cup with ¾ cup water and ¾ cup milk (I use almond milk).
- Stir in 1-2 heaping spoonfuls of mung bean powder.
- Heat up in the microwave for about 1:30 to 2:00 minutes – keep an eye on it so it doesn’t boil over.
- Meanwhile, prep your mug with a dash of honey and a dash of vanilla. I also like to stir in some coconut oil to impart a richer flavor.
- Next, strain the heated mung bean mixture into your prepared mug and enjoy.
- Note: For a richer taste, substitute canned coconut milk for the almond milk, though I would use more water and less coconut milk.
NotesIs Your Health At Its Optimum?
If you are suffering from any of the problems listed above—contact us for a consultation. Call (727) 335-0400 to schedule. Our medical clinic is located in Clearwater, FL. If you are not local to us, our medical team treats patients from across the country and internationally via telemedicine consultations. We help you find the underlying root cause of your health issues. To your health,
Dr. Vikki Petersen
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of Root Cause Medical Clinic
Author of the books:
“The Gluten Effect”
"Hiatal Hernia Syndrome",
and of the e-book “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!